Thursday, April 1, 2010

Easter and Conference

(My little Easter display atop the bookshelf. Didn't my chickee turn out cute?)

For some reason, I really love when General Conference falls on Easter weekend. (Maybe my mind will change when I have a few more little ones running around... but for now, it's my favorite.).  There are often more talks focusing on the meaning of Easter (it's like the Christmas devotional, times ten, you know?).  The weekend is more relaxed: staying home, munching on chocolate and jelly beans while sitting in front of the computer (in our case, since we're sans TV).  Good amounts of sugar. Spiritual upliftment and enlightenment. Doesn't get much better.

Since this coming weekend is another first with our little Raymond (don't you just love the first year with your first child? So fun!), we've been talking about what Easter traditions we want to implement with our little family. We both grew up with lots of Easter traditions--some similar, some pretty different.

Jeremy's family grew up doing the Easter egg and basket type traditions on Saturday (we did the baskets on Sunday). We never really did any sort of egg hunt (whereas they always went into the canyon and raced jelly beans and did an egg hunt with fun prizes). They didn't find Easter baskets... but rather the candy was strewn all over the living room to be collected and divied up (we definitely went basket hunting. And we definitely ate ham and cheese potatoes at Grandma Snowballs house.)

I don't know (really) how much we'll do of anything since Raymond is still too young for all of it (although, don't worry, we'll dye eggs (LOVE them) and definitely be eating us some sugar this weekend). But as it snowed about a foot last night (where did that come from??)... there will be no outdoor hunts around here. At least I can wear something as bight and spring-y as I want... and just crank up the heat since there will be no reason to leave the house!

But since it's conference, it's bound to be a great weekend no matter how we celebrate it with all the superficial stuff.

(Oh, and for all you conference watchers with little ones... have you seen the children's activities the church put out? A few computer activities to get them geared up for the weekend, and some things to do while watching. Awesome.)

I hope you have a bright and beautiful Eastery weekend!

love,

cj

4 comments:

Holly Moore said...

Yeay for Easter Conference! I'm super excited for it too!

joyous said...

I'm looking forward to it too! I have to say one thing that screams Easter to me is egg salad sandwiches. As I mixed some up this week, it brought all the other memories back. I also loved hunting for our Easter baskets Sunday morning. We always did egg hunts with the Greens on Saturday.

Jaime said...

Okay, so now that I'm the mom of a little girl, I do NOT like Easter on conference weekend cause it takes all the fun out of an Easter dress and getting us all gussied up in our new spring attire and going to church to look at all the other little kids in their pretty clothes. Silly perhaps, but I will miss it.

Shannon said...

I am excited for this Easter/Conference weekend! I think we will have to do an indoor egg hunt this year because of the snow, but the kids will still love it. I am going to miss eating ham and cheesy potatoes at Grandma's though. Hope you have fun with Raymond's first Easter!