Friday, April 2, 2010

To cut or not to cut

 (Can you see the indecision all over my face? Oh, and pretty much this ponytail is what my hair looks like most days)

I cut my hair short right before my mission... and HATED it. I wanted it shoulder length, and got chin length instead. It took me a long time to get over it (have I yet?). I vowed, at the time, that I would never go that short again. I thought it made my face look too round. I thought it was annoying to not be able to pull it all back. I thought the hairdresser should have realized curly hair drys much shorter than you would think while wet.

Anyhow, despite my vows to never go chin-length again, I every now and again want to go just a little shorter. Because seriously my hair is LONG. I've pretty much been growing it out since that tearful day right before entering the MTC. But, man, it is SO LONG. Last summer (right before I got married) I cut off about five inches (without tellign Jeremy ahead of time) and found out my husband really likes my hair long. Really. But not matter how much I debate back and forth, and can never come up with an answer. So I want your advice. Here are my pros and cons to cutting my hair about six inches:

Pro: My hair is curly. Shorter hair is curlier hair. (Is it?) I love doing my hair curly and don't as much when it's as long as it is (because it just turns to frizz).

Con: Jeremy LOVES my hair this long. Loves it. Have I mentioned how much he loves it? He gives me the frowny face when I talk about cutting it. Now I maybe I shouldn't care, but I do.

Pro: The shorter my hair is, the easier it is. It dries faster. It does more things. It takes way less time. I'm all about spending as little time as possible on my hair.

Con: I have always loved long hair. I love having it myself. I love it on other people (not that I don't like short hair too). When I was little and read lots of fairy tales, I always imagined I would have long long hair falling down to my feet someday. I'm (almost) living the dream. Why would I give that up?

Pro: It takes less product when it's shorter. I don't even want to tell you how fast I can go through a bottle of conditioner. Fast. Thus: shorter hair is cheaper.

Con: I'm always sad when I cut my hair. You know, after the fact. I almost always regret it. And then I immediately start growing it out again.

Pro: It has more body, versatility, and curl. I miss doing my hair curly every day. I dream about getting a perm someday and having really curly hair. I love love love curly hair. I wish I had more.

Con: I always think my hair will be a lot curlier when it's shorter, but it's not. My hair just isn't as curly as I wish it was. Cutting it would necessarily solve the problem.

Pro: Less work (have I mentioned this?). Way less work. Shorter hair is just easier for me. Hands down.

Con: I always told myself I wouldn't start having kids and chop all my hair off. Is cutting it just giving in to "mom hair"? I don't know. (Don't get me wrong: I LOVE short hair on lots of other people!)

Do you see my dilemma? Can you tell I'm totally indecisive about it?  I NEED YOUR HELP. What do you think??

(Disclaimer: I have a while to think about this. On rule, I cut my hair every three months. I'm not due for a hair cut (ahem, trim) until June, technically. Yes, that means I did go get some cut off just two or three weeks ago. A whole two inches! That's more than I've cut since the summer before the wedding!)

9 comments:

Tasha said...

You are to cute and funny. I TOTALLY see the dilma though. Really. I have been debating my hair myself. Different dilimas, but definatly filling for you on this one. But, easier, is kind of nice. Especially with kids. Maybe do just 5 instead of 6 inches. See how you like it. Make sure the person cutting your hair should keep is BELOW the shoulder. By a few inches. So, they get the point. Good luck deciding. This is a hard one!

Jaime said...

I agree with Tasha, you can always go shorter and make sure and tell them at least an inch longer than you really want, like tell them 4 inches. And really that's a lot of inches. You are so lucky that your hair grows that fast. It would take me 4 years to grow my hair 4 inches. And you have that gorgeous perfect curly red hair that I have coveted my WHOLE life. So yeah, I'm not very helpful am I, but in response to Jeremy, a happy wife is a happy life and it will grow again, and you're not going to have that short of hair anyway! Just have him look at my hair and he'll be grateful. OK, good luck!

Kelly said...

I love your hair (always have). I am with Tasha and think it might be good to go just below the shoulders. Maybe get some layers rather than cut the length? I'm sure you will look great no matter what you choose.

Shannon said...

To cut or not to cut is the eternal question. I think you should do what makes you feel the most beautiful.

I know that Ian would prefer it if I grew my hair out, but my hair just doesn't look as good long. Plus I like the ease of styling when it's short. I honestly just think it looks better on me. I appease Ian by trying out new colors and he likes that.

Anyway, if you do decide to chop don't forget to post pics!!!

Tianna said...

You do realize, don't you, that cutting 6 inches off isn't gonna give you short hair, right? In fact, most people would still call it long.

Just sayin'.

Prudy said...

Oh, I'm no good on questions about hair cuts, but you sure have a pretty pony tail. It's fun to have a change, but you have to be ready for it.
Now-about your ham. You don't need a roasting pan at all. Use your good old pyrex. Happy Easter and good luck with ham, hair, and everything else!

Letti said...

I would cut off two inches and see how that goes. If you want it shorter do two more. I think a little at a time is the best way to do it. Especially with curly hair.

Cansas said...

Ah the hair cut dilema. I'm in the same boat, but I like you have a husband that loves long hair. I too have curly hair that actually is curlier when it's short, but also requires more product to make it curly. It's a hard debate, but I always end up siding with my hubby:) So since you asked, I personally love your long hair. I know i don't have to do it everyday, but I think it looks great on you!

joyous said...

I always enjoy growing my hair out and I'm usually too lazy/cheap to get my hair cut very often. So by the time I do, I usually am really needing it. Anyway, I think it's really important that you go to a really good hair dresser. Get as many recommendations as you can. I have the best hair cut right now that I've ever had. It's been three months (almost) and I STILL love my hair cut!!! And I owe it all to my amazing hair dresser. :)