Thursday, April 15, 2010

Flashback: April by Marcia Masters

(Image. I seriously want to buy everything in her shop.)

I've posted this poem before. But by golly, the weather has decided to be April-ish enough the last few days to merit a repeat. I love spring! Sunshine and daffodils and buds on the trees. We are going on walks, playing in the grass, and swinging on swings. I think this poem perfectly captures the essence of spring:

It's lemonade, it's lemonade, it's daisy.
It's a roller-skating, scissor-griding day;
It's a gingham-waisted, chocolate flavored, lazy,
With the children flower-scattered at their play.

It's the sun like watermelons,
And the sidewalks overlaid
With a glaze of yellow yellow
Like a jar of marmalade.

It's the mower gently mowing,
And the stars like startled glass,
While the mower keeps on going
Through a waterfall of grass.

Then the rich magenta evening
Like a sauce upon the walk,
And the porches softly swinging
With a hammockful of talk.

It's the hobo at the corner
With his lilac-sniffing gait,
And the shy departing thunder
Of the fast departing skate.

It's lemonade, it's lemonade, it's April!
A water sprinkler, puddle winking time,
When a boy who peddles slowly, with a smile remote and holy,
Sells you April chocolate flavored for a dime.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

Yeah for spring! Love that print too.