Monday, November 8, 2010

The boy lovingly refered to as "The Man Child"

 
Well poor little Raymond certainly hasn't made the center stage on this blog for quite some time. But that doesn't mean he isn't large and in charge around here. Somehow over night he went from a baby to a toddler. That's not to say he's lost all his baby-ness. Because I'm pretty sure his cheeks are as kissable as they were on day one. But he has mastered the art of puckering up himself... which is just about as tender as it comes.

Before I lose my head, I want to record some of the latest and greatest of the Life of RayJ.

1. He (as always) loves books. We went through weeks of reading (for hours, literally) the Jazz book. Random, I know. Now we read the Fisher Price Baby magazine over and over. And flip endlessly through the pages of Gyo Fugikawa's ABC book and the Julie Andrews Songs, Poems, and Lullaby collection.

2. But actually, what we spend most of our time looking at (at Raymond's request) is the Church's spiral bound Gospel Art Book. Really, the boy knows where this book is at any given time. He can say Jesus, Moses (probably the cutest thing I've ever heard... it's more like Mooo-ses with his little lips puckered for the long ooo), and prophets (more like sa-sets). He can point out Jesus in any given picture and randomly throughout the day points at the picture of Christ on our wall saying, "Jesus" over and over. It's quite humbling, in fact, to witness his sincere and completely voluntary interest in all things "Jesus" or "prophets" related. He regularly flips through Preach My Gospel, the hymnbook, the Children's Songbook, the Gospel Principles manual, the Temples Ensign, and of course the Gospel Art Book. If I try and put any of these books out of reach, the boy knows and lets me hear it.

3. He is our little explorer. I swear he wants to get into every cupboard, nook, and cranny of this apartment. It might just be a long winter, folks. He is happiest when let out of doors for his explorations.

4. He is as social as ever. He smiles and charms anyone (particuarly in church) who looks his way. He's never happier than when he has a captive audience. With that said, he still takes a considerable amount of time to warm up to new situations and people... and will give the blank stare for quite some time before the grins come out. But once they do, watch out! He is a champion at the institute nursery--always happy and playing. But, I must admit he's a mama's boy to the tee. He won't even always let Jeremy carry him when we are out and about. He loves to be held by Mom, that's for sure.

5. If I let him, he would subsist on Marshmallow Maties alone. He stands at the pantry door banging his heart out to get them all day long. Other favorite foods (do I even admit this?) are "nanas," yogurt, (ahem) hot dogs and corn dogs, tater tots, and waffles. I do make him eat oatmeal every morning (gotta start the day healthy at least), and I squeeze some peas into his diet occasionally (the only vegetable he really likes). Healthy eating is a work in progress, right?

6. He would color (aka throw crayons and colored pencils around the house) all day long if I let him. But, sadly for him, I don't. He is slowly getting the hang of actually "coloring." Man, he loves his crayons!

7. He is a jabberer to no end. And, happily, he is finally saying more words with more clarity. The running list includes: eat, out, up, off, ball (ba), bath (ba... much like ball, but usually pretty clear when used in context), dada, mama, leche (milk), baby (baba), soft (saaaa), night night (nana), yeah, all done (a da), hot, toast (tost), bye bye (surprisingly clear!), and (as mentioned) nana, Jesus, prophet, Moses, and I'm sure there are more I can't think of... he also says quite a few animal sounds (baa baa, nay nay, hee haw, ssss (snake), mooo, roar, buzzz, meow, fish sound, oo oo ee ee aa (monkey), yippee dee (pea cock), cheep cheep (chicks), woof woof...)



8. By and large, he is a very happy boy. Despite the trantrums he likes to throw when he doesn't get his way (which seem to be diminishing as I simply ignore them and him while he bangs his head on the floor or wall), he mostly is smiley and happy. We certainly have fun together... although (of course) the most fun is had when Dad is home. Mom is much calmer with him than Dad, that's for sure! (Who else will tickle and tackle and throw balls in the air to no end?)

I certainly admit I love, love, love this stage. He is always doing something new and exciting. I love watching him make new connections and say and do new things. I love seeing the little person he is becoming. I am excited to see how he reacts and changes to a new baby sister, and I'm confident he's going to handle it beautifully.

Pictures taken by Stanford Richens last Friday. Hooray for photographers in the family!

6 comments:

dntbaker said...

i.love.you.
seriously i love how simple you make life. i was reading the talk in the new conference ensign by pres.utchdorf and i thought of you...
i love this post about raymond.
i think by the end of the week i want to do one for Rylie and Ezra.

Amy said...

He sounds like a bunch of fun to have around. I love the red hair.

joyous said...

15 months to about 24 months is definitely my favorite stage. I'm glad you are having fun! Thanks for cute pictures too!!

sara said...

We love RayJ!!!! That's for sure. He is quite the cutie and does so many great things. I love this stage too. And as they grow they just become more and more aware of their surroundings, it's great. He's going to be the best big brother, I'm sure of it!

Tasha said...

I sure do love you Raymond. I loved hearing all these cute and fun things he is up too. Make me happy. He has quite the vocabulary. Too too cute.

Emma said...

Raymond sounds like a sweet boy. You two are so cute in the pictures. Hopefully your baby will sleep a lot so you can still give Raymond lots of one on one attention.