Tuesday, November 2, 2010

¡Éxito! (That's Spanish for "success!")

(Side comment: Tede Baker, do you remember how every single day in Larque we would leave the house and, putting one fist in the air, say, "¡Éxito!"? Happy memories.)

So last Wednesday at our Wizard of Oz dinner I mentioned to a gal in my ward that I have never been successful at making rolls. They always are hard and small and yeasty. NOT light and fluffy and delicious. It has been one of the woes of my baking life. I aspire to being able to take a basket of perfect rolls to a sick neighbor's house. Or "whipping" them up for a Sunday dinner. Or even just once a year on Thanksgiving would give me satisfaction and peace of mind.

But up to this point I have always failed in my attempts. That is, until this past weekend.

I made rolls, my friends. And they were good enough that Jeremy ate four of them. Light and fluffy. And good. Mmmm.  And not just any rolls... I made (are you ready for this?) Lion House Rolls. You know the ones you smell when you are walking through Deseret Book and you want to buy some (along with that honey butter) but you know they have to be worse for you than a pan of brownies. Those rolls.

And I think it was because I didn't roll them out. I followed this tutorial (which is actually easier than it looks). The recipe is posted online at melskitchencafe.com here. And because mine turned out just as pretty as hers did, here's a picture (of hers--I take no credit for the photography or the goodness of the rolls. I give all to Mel).


And since you probably should have something else with your dinner other than rolls (although if you eat four of them I take that back), you should also try this amazing recipe for Tomato-Basil Parmesan Soup (in the crock pot). Jeremy told me three times (while scraping his bowl clean) that I should blog about this soup. It was that good. And it might have even been better if I had made the rolls on the same night.

So soup and rolls. Does fall weather get any better than this?? I think not.

5 comments:

Kathryn Lewis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathryn Lewis said...

okay I am going to try it. Really. I might need some coaching though, or even just a pep talk to be brave enough to try it! You are awesome :) You go girl! And BTW, we got our carpets cleaned on our own. We felt like we really wanted to do it before winter and they were kinda gross when we moved in over a year ago! We got a coupon in the ValPac savings thing in the mail and just went a head and paid for it ourselves, no Leavitt involvement. We are super happy we did! It has been so nice to have a peace of mind about it, especially with Micah crawling around. It was worth it for us!

dntbaker said...

ok funny and true story..before i even read your post and your side note to me I got really excited aobut the word Exito!! and i was going to comment to you about that before even reading this.
my brother that is serving in panama right now is a ZL and i told him that he should say Exito every time they leave a meeting and try to make it a zone tradition..apparently all of the elders there think its lame. i think that is lame!! ok now i am going to read your actual post! :)

Tasha said...

Oh yummy! I have never made rolled out rolls before. Those look delicious. I made 60 of regular rolls last week for the R.S. Appreciation Dinner. They were nice and yummy too. Glad you found ones you can make and work for you :) I will have to try these some time. I love homemade rolls.

Cat said...

I made the soup today and it is absolutely delicious! thanks for the link! I am going to be trying many of those recipes.