My mom, while undoubtedly good at it, is a utilitarian cook. As in, she cooked because she had to. Six kids and all. I really don't remember her complaining much about it. I think it was fulfilling for her (maybe?). She makes some killer lasagna roll ups. And I will always love her chocolate chip cookie recipe best.
But it most definitely wasn't her thing. (Sewing, on the other hand, most definitely was. Is.)
So while I spent my entire growing up helping her make dinner (browning the hamburger was always my favorite job), I never gave much thought to cooking. It never really caught my interest or attention. I had to look at the directions on the box the first time I made macaroni and cheese as an adult, I was that oblivious to the art of cooking.
In college I never had time to cook (hello way too many credit hours and time consuming part-time job. With only my two legs to get me around town).
Single and working (the Blanding year) I had no motivation to cook (oh the sweet nothings I could write about microwaved low fat kettle corn. I bought boxes at a time).
It wasn't until I was married that the need to cook really arose. And to put it frankly, I was more than nervous about the whole proposition. I entered the kitchen with trepidation, uncertainty, and full out intimidation.
But almost three years later, guess what? I actually, whole-heartedly like to cook.
I'll say it again. I like to cook. (!!)
Now don't get me wrong. There are definitely days when I look at Jeremy and say: you are in charge of finding some sort of nourishment for yourself. Days when boxed mac and cheese is about all I can muster up.And days when I am overjoyed to learn that Jeremy has a work meeting at some local restaurant and I am off the hook when it comes to dinner.
But in between those days, I honestly and truly get pleasure out of fixing dinner. Shocking, I know! It is calming (even when one or more of my children are screaming. Ok, not always). But there is some sort of calm creativity involved in the creation of food. It is satisfying to make something wholly from scratch. To adapt and fanegle a recipe to meet our budget, our healthy living goals, our taste preferences. I even, surprisingly, enjoy kneading bread dough by hand (something I've take up since my kitchenaide sputtered and died).
I am so used to the idea of cooking being a chore, that I sometimes have to remind myself that it's ok to enjoy it. And by and large, enjoy it I do!
Who would have thought?
5 comments:
My mom was also a very utilitarian cook and it's a big surprise to her how much all three of us girls love to cook.
I think a lot of it goes back to Elder Uchdorf's talk about creativity. We all have that desire to create. Like you said, it's not always so fulfilling, but anytime we create something that we have put thought, effort and time into, the personal reward is tremendous.
P.S. Lasagna roll-ups?!?! Why have I not heard of these before? Please share!!
Opps! That last comment was from me. :)
I love that you love it. I am more like Mom I think. I like, but don't like it :) But, there is something very fulfilling about creating something and every (or most everyone....or at least me) likes it. It is a fun adventure.
I have those days of not wanting to cook,but I do love to cook for my family. I realized it is the cleaning up after that I do not like or have the energy to do after cooking it!
Post a Comment