Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"I give my name unto the world..."

I have again and again gone over Elder Holland's powerful message given in General Conference on Sunday afternoon. With simplicity and yet elegance, he testified of the truthfulness and divinity of the origin of the Book of Mormon. He was straightforward and unyielding in his witness of the Book of Mormon being the Word of God. In the spirit of his message, I wish to also "give my name unto the world" that I know the book to be true, written by ancient prophets upon the American continent and translated by the power and authority of God given to Joseph Smith.

When I was eight years old and a newly baptized member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I felt the need to know for myself that the book was true. I felt that as an official "Mormon," I must read the Book of Mormon. I opened my newly acquired quadruple combination and began with the story of Lehi and Nephi and their journey to the promised land. It took me a long time to read the book that first time through. My favorite reading spot was amongst the piles of pillows along one side of our couch and hidden from view by the recliner. I often kept my scriptures tucked behind the pillows for easy access the next time I wanted to read. I remember not understanding most of what was going on, but feeling determined to read it all the way through, confident that with future readings it would become more clear. I finished sometime after my nineth birthday.

The ending chapter of the Book of Mormon contains a promise to all who read the book--inviting us to ponder the words of the book, and then with pure intentions to ask God if the book is true. I don't recall whether I offered such a prayer as a nine year old or not. But over the years, as I read the book again and again, my testimony of the book has become sure and steadfast.

Sometime during my early teenage years I began daily scripture study, focusing on the Book of Mormon. Countless times it has been a sourse of inspiration, comfort, solice, and direction. It is indeed the centerstone of my testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If ever during my teenage years I had cause to question or doubt a principle or doctrine taught by the church, I would always go back to my deepening conviction that the Book of Mormon is true. And if it is the word of God, then Joseph Smith must have been his prophet, and the rest follows.

When I was 21, I was called to serve as a missionary for the church in Honduras. Every single day my companion and I would load copies of the Book of Mormon in our bags to give out during the day. I loved to carry a book in hand as I walked, eager to draw attention to the pictures at the beginning of the book that illustrate the Savior as being the center figure of the book.

I loved to teach the Message of the Restoration (the first lesson)--which testifies of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. I had a companion (Hermana Roldan) who always refered to the Book of Mormon as "el tesoro de las americas" (the treasure of the americas). She would hold the book firmly in both hands and commit our investigators to read from its pages. I cannot forget the urgency she felt for helping the people understand the magnitude and import of the plain navy blue book she gripped in her hands. She loved the Book of Mormon.

In the places I served in Honduras, most of the adults we taught could not read well or at all. It was hard for me at first to know how to help them gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon when reading even a single verse was taxing and confusing for them. I worked hard to explain it's origin and purpose simply and clearly. I would commit them to read a few verses, a short chapter, or to listen to one of their children read a passage. So many never read. It was their stumbling block. But those who did--and who followed the invitation to sincerely pray to know if the book is true, were converted.

I try to not let a day go by without reading from the Book of Mormon. It is the solid ground I wish to walk on daily. Generally my rule is that I will not read anything else (magazines, novels, etc) until I have read from the Book of Mormon each day. I have found my reading to be the most pentrating when I read with a pen in hand in order to write my thoughts down as they come. And a colored pencil easily accesible for marking key scriptures and cross references. I love the stories of the Book of Mormon. They have become familiar and comforting over the years as I read them again and again, finding parallels in my own life. But even more, I love the constant reminder that Jesus is the Christ. That He is the sure foundation we must build upon. That declaring His gospel and coming unto Him is how we will find peace in this life. The Book of Mormon is filled, page after page, with testimony of the Savior. I know that it is a true book. I know it contains God's word and will for us, His children.

In the spirit of the Book of Mormon, I invite you to read or reread its inspired pages. I invite you to ponder anew it's message of peace, hope, and faith. I invite you to give your name unto the world that you also know the book to be true.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Thank you for this beautiful testimony Carly. I am excited to listen to Elder Holland's talk over and over again in the coming months as I have heard so many times how wonderful it was. I missed a lot due to a sassy and noisy little girl who lives in our house. I love her so much!

Tasha said...

I too loved Elder Holland's message. It was one of the few I actually got to listen to the whole thing (really pretty much the only one. That and the Prophets. The boys were a bit crazy this weekend. We watched it all, but I didn't get to "listen" to it all.) I can honesly say that I know it was not a coinsident that that is that is the one talk I heard. It has penetrated into my soul too. It has made me think and ponder and just be strengthened by the spirit. Thank you for your testimony of it also Carly. The scriptures are something I have loved watching you study and learn and love your whole life through. I could just picture you in your spot reading it as a young girl. I Love you Carly Jane. Thank you for this reminder