Today all my underclassmen check out. I have spent the morning printing progress reports, searching through files of papers for ones I managed to not give credit for, asking students if they still have any of my books, and signing my name again and again.And now I just have one class left. 7th period. I won't see them for two hours, however. In the meantime, I sit in my room finishing up grading, sorting through stacks of papers and books, and wondering where this school year has gone. So much has happened this year. But right now the minutes and seconds seem fused together. They slipped somehow quietly through my fingers and are gone.
Nine months ago I stood up at the front of this room and asserted my authority--trying my best to scare the living daylights out of them. I knew it wouldn't last long, so I had to give it everything I had. I stumbled over their names--Luscha and Vineishia and Jacoby. I looked in their faces and tried to memorize the differences. My stomach churned as I wondered what the year would bring.
As I sit here, I recognize Dallas Hall's laugh in the hallway. And the echoes of dozens of others rickoshaying around the walls that are covered with posters I made --and I smile at the familiarity of it all. My counters and filing cabinets are filled with handouts, assignments, and short stories. My desk littered with books I have scoured in efforts to be better and wiser. Empty baskets line the counter, no longer overflowing with papers or projects or assignments.
As they walked out today I called for them to have a good summer rather than the usual farewell of "have a good day." And just like the time, they themselves have slipped quietly from between my fingers. Out to other classes and other teachers and their other lives. And I wonder what it is they will take with them from this room. Will they remember the pages and pages we have read? Will they remember the papers they wrote? Will they remember my laugh during a laughing attack? Will they remember how excited they were to find out what would happen to Gatsby? Will they remember their devastation when Farquar's rope didn't break and he died in that split second? Will they remember Huck's assertion that you can't pray a lie? Will they remember the horror of Frederick Douglass' slave story? Will they remember how much I loved them? Will they remember that they are writers and must read like writers? Will they remember that "diction" is word choice? Will they remember the difference between transcendentalism and naturalism? Will they remember that reading can be fun? Will they remember their crazy teacher who loved to take walks in the wind and would rather read than watch tv? I don't know.
While I'm ready for the year to end, it makes me sad too. My first little flock of students. My first classroom. My first lesson plans and experiments. My first set of seniors to graduate. My first year teaching. And it's almost over. I'm sorry if this seems sad or solemn. I am sure by tomorrow I will be ecstatic that it's done (cheering and jumping, singing and dancing). But today, right now, I mourn the loss of a school year gone.
14 comments:
Way to fight the good fight! Congratulations on a wonderful school year. Every seed is vital...even if your students don't realize what they learned this year, it has become embedded in their character. And all of us blog readers learned much from your experiences, too! Thanks for sharing!
reading this made me feel strangely sentimental! Love it....very Anne-ish of you.
Mourn the loss ... you should. I remember those first few days teaching and how you tried to scare them all and how scared you were. :) I really truly can't believe 9 months has past. I'm sure they'll never forget you. I'm sure there are students who will be dying to take your class next year. What a wonderful teacher and example you are.
I find myself wanting to cry with you. I do not know that they will take all those things with them, but I can promise you they will take some. But, mostly, I truly believe they will take much learned from you . . .the way you are, the way you teach, things discussed, I can only believe that your spirit of reading has truly influences many of them. Somehow, as I have read your blog, talked with you much, emailed back and forth, I have come to realize over and over again the impact you truly did making in the lives of these students. And truly Carly, I don't think you are going to be fast forgotten. I really cannot believe this year is over for you too. 9 months, wow. Time goes by fast.
I loved reading this post. It is so encouraging and calming to see how many truly wonderful teachers there are out there, making this world a better place one student at a time. And clearly, you are a devoted and talented teacher. What a gift you have given these students. To so love what you do and what you teach will continue to bless and enrich lives. I am so proud to know you and to get to read all of your ensightful and thoughtful posts. You are a wonderful person. I can only hope my children are blessed to have a few teachers like you along the way.
And I loved the entry about the boy... and he is cute. And I loved that my husband wore Jack Purcells everyday when we were dating. Silly but true. So the Vans comment was totally appreciated by me.
If it makes you feel better I very much remember my English teachers and even more so, the books I read while in their classes. I'm sure your students will always carry fond memories of the things that touched them the most from your classes. Congrats on you first year of teaching!!!
I think one of the things that makes teaching so difficult is that there is no way to do it well without becoming emotionally involved. It sounds you have had a good first year with some fun things to look forward to for next year. I hope you enjoy your summer vacation!!
this made me think back on some of my favorite high school teachers- how much I appreciate all they taught me! Not only english and math lessons, but life lessons too! teachers are the best!
I don't think that I can even look at a book in the same way... I mean that in a good way. I think that it's great that you want us to remember all of the "school-type" things that you've shown us, but what about the things that you didn't teach us on purpose? Things like keeping that separation between church and state, while still maintaining everything you believe in, and you taught us to be excited about English. (I was excited, anyway...) I may just randomly make you wheat cookies until one of us disappears...
Wow, what a gorgeous post. There's really nothing else to say.
(By the way (okay, yes, there was something else to say), I can never get your blog to show up in my RSS reader. Any ideas why?)
Dear Angry Student,
You have every right to be angry. I am sorry I didn't tell you I was leaving. I didn't hardly know until last week and it was too painful and sad to talk about. I want to cry right now thinking about it. I did everything I could to give myself to you as your teacher, so it's hardly fair that I suddenly and unexpectedly rip myself away. But that doesn't mean I love any of you any less or care any less that you DO write that book that I want on my shelf someday. Just as I hoped you were learning the untaught lessons, I hope you will someday forgive me for leaving after just one year.
ps. those were the most amazing wheat cookies I have ever had in my entire life. I ate all of them--every last crumb. Thank you.
You're so cute and I wish I had a HS teacher like you! I only had old fuddy duddies:) I guess I had a young spanish teacher, but she was just crazy. I remember at the beginning of each school year thinking my new class (I taught 2nd grade) wouldn't be as great as the year before and at the end of every year (except for the last year I taught - I actually celebrate their departure) I was so sad to see them go and hoped they would remember me their entire lives.
I'm not angry... not really. It's not in my nature to be. I'm just sad, really. To be honest (and I think I told you this, before) you are the best English teacher I have ever had. And you are my favorite teacher. That doesn't happen very often, if ever or more than once in a lifetime.
this was so sweet. i felt like i was reading a book. you are such a sweet timeless gal. and i think of you anytime i'm at target and see something cute and red.
Post a Comment