(Note: in Utah they call ditching "sluffing." But since this sounds like you are suffocating someone with a pillow, I persist in calling it ditching.)
I really had a somewhat pathetic high school career. I never ditched. Not once. You should feel bad for me (because I do). Once my junior year, Mr. Milne--who I TAed for--actually sent me home because I had a fever. I felt so weird walking all alone to my car and driving away with no one following me. It had honestly never occurred to me to leave when I was supposed to be at school.
So my senior year, after countless hours of dedication to school, when Senior Ditch Day rolled around, I felt I had earned the right to not come to school just one day.
No such luck.
All my teachers somehow felt threatened by the organized revolt of the senior class choosing to not come to school on the same day. And so, they all assigned huge projects, tests, and papers worth unnecessary amounts of points that could not be made up. We were to be in class or suffer a significant drop in our grades. My one moment of freedom was not to be. Like the dutiful student I was, I went to school.
Now, as a teacher, I find myself sitting alone in my classroom during my fifth period senior English class on Senior Ditch Day. And you know what? I am glad. I didn't assign a paper or project or test. I would have maybe given extra credit for those who came, but I just can't pass on the torture my own teachers inflicted. While I don't think my students are nearly as hard core as I was (and thus not quite as deserving), I'll still give it to them.
9 comments:
Those lucky kids who have you as a teacher! I can't believe you never ever ditched high school! That must be a record somewhere! Hope your kids had a nice day off. Ahh the good old days of ever having a day off. :)
wow I am impressed you have never ditched!! Sadly my ditching has almost gotten me into some serious trouble in HS. It was always for ditching to go to Disneyland too.... hmmm... oh well!! hahaha I figure I made it out of HS all right so I am ok!
wow I am impressed you have never ditched!! Sadly my ditching has almost gotten me into some serious trouble in HS. It was always for ditching to go to Disneyland too.... hmmm... oh well!! hahaha I figure I made it out of HS all right so I am ok!
Well, personally this makes me very happy too. Way to be the good Senior teachers. I just never understood why teachers did have to be so mean about it. It is one day. I too am sure not all your students deserved it, but maybe one or two did and for that reason THANK YOU! I just love you so much Carly Jane. You make me happy through and through. Sorry for not being the best conversationalist today. But, I still do love your stinkin cute guts!
You are AWESOME! As I was reading your post, I was thinking, Yea...Rock on Carly...you are the best teacher ever. Hopefully you thoroughly enjoyed your 5th period all by yourself! I love you oh so much.
From one non-ditcher to another, You're awesome. I always felt guilty for not showing up to classes or work, so I was always there. As I'm working full-time, I still wish I could "sluff" (can you tell I'm from Utah ;) especially when everyone else is out of the office. Funny isn't it,no amount of extra credit seems to erase the envy I have for those who ditched.
I always knew you'd be one of those cool teachers...:)
You're so awesome, that's so great that you remember how it felt!
Why weren't you my teacher in high school?! haha but now you can consider it your teacher "sluff" day because you don't have to do anything! You can finally make up for all those years of not ditching...If only I had your conscience!!
Post a Comment