Thursday, May 15, 2008

Hmmm

I have been racking my brain all week to come up with something insightful or funny, intriguing or shocking, interesting or informative to share with you all. But try as I might, the proverbial bucket keeps coming up empty. The funny thing is, my brain is so jam-packed that I can hardly sleep at night, so how come I can't transfer any of it to the glaring white computer screen? I don't know, but here are a few snap shots of my week:

My philosophy on education: the teacher is no better than the student. At best I am a guide, a mentor, a facilitator, a leader. The minute I start seeing myself as better or smarter or superior to any one of them is the minute I fail at my job. I, in fact, must still be a student--reading, writing, inquiring--if I want to be any good as a teacher. I do have more experience, yes. I do have, I hope, more knowledge (at least in my content area), but I still don't have all the answers. And I must trust them to help me in my quest to figure them out (just as they must trust me in their quest--even if they don't know they are on it--to figure them out).

I love Jane Eyre. I have been rereading it this past little bit. I have not delved in as deeply or quickly as I'd like, but nibbling at the beginning has reminded me why this is on my all-time-favorite list.

We are shooting guns as our YSA activity on Saturday. I am apprehensive.

There is something inheritly good about good companionship. It is comforting, calming, exiting, reassuring, and just plain happy.

I still don't like failing students, but sometimes it is a necessary evil.

I love Elder Eyring's talk to the YW in this last conference. I have gone back and reread the last four paragraphs almost every night this week. He is so intent and sincere and powerful. Read it.

I don't like letting the seniors check out a week and a half early from school. It's much too early. And I got bored today with three prep periods. I know, I should just use the time to grade papers and not complain. Ok, tomorrow I will try harder.

Everything meaningful is painful. And that pain doesn't mean much unless we do something with it (gain patience, love, understanding, openness, or the willingness to remain vulnerable). I know I've said all this before, it's just that I'm still working on it.

I think the AP test was more stressful for the teacher than the students. Is that weird?

1. I love going to bed early, but I am not always very good at it. 2. I love getting up early, but 5:00 is too early (particularly if I am not doing 1.).

Elder Worthlin said in the October 2007 General Conference, "Now, for us, the measure of our love is the measure of the greatness of our souls." Wow. I rediscovered this talk at institute this week. I love institute.

Dang, that boy still makes me stinkin' happy.

The American Dream. We finished The Great Gatsby this week in my American Lit classes. Gatsby paid too high a price for a single dream. He wanted Daisy so badly that he did whatever it took to get her. I wonder if he even really loved her. I think it was just the idea of her that he loved. I don't want to do that in my life--get too caught up in false dream and then realize too late that it wasn't what I wanted in the first place. In other words, I don't want to sell my birthright for a mess of pottage.

I love my sisters. And I love it when I get to see my sisters.

I don't like to spend money unnecessarily, but sometimes it is nice to have enough to be comfortable and to do things for people or support activities or pay your bills without worrying. I am grateful that I do not need to worry too much about money right now.

Love is a choice. I am so, so grateful for agency. And for love.

So there you go. I could (or should) have probably hashed out any one of these into a full blog post, but aren't you glad you just got a peck here and a peck there instead?

4 comments:

Tasha said...

Yes, I am glad I got a peck and a peck there of what is in your head and life right now. I actaully quite enjoyed reading each and every one . . .and, once again you have totally uplifted and inspired me. I love that about you Carly Jane. And I sure do LOVE your philosphy on teaching. That paragraph right there states the kind of person you are. I am just grateful to know you and even better, be your sister!

Tasha said...

PS And I am going to go read Elder Eyrings talk right now. I need a good talk to read this morning. :) Thanks for the tip.

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

dang it carly! i dont get to check peoples blogs daily anymore with 3 kids biting my ankles, so i was really hoping for more info about the boy who makes you happy! i scrolled through all the posts i have missed and i see you are still hanging out daily and still having fun, but no more info was divulged! next time i check, there better be some info!!!!!
yes, this was a threat. i am not "holding my horses" ANYMORE!!!

sarawhat said...

so you have "chosen" to love him? :) I'm getting so excited for further progression here.